Joiner-Fitzhugh American Legion Post 278
Veterans in Hood County had gathered together and requested an American Legion Post charter be issued to their group.
On December 15, 1920, there was an organizational meeting at the Colonial Hotel owned by Mr. Peveler. The following attended the meeting: E. M. Yantis, C. B. Nelson, Billie Mareau, Larue Jones, M. Smith, Jake Morris, Chester Peters, Alva Peters, Art Key, John B. Gordon, Luther Jamieson, Henry Little, Evalya Menefee, Victor A. Scherer, Frank T. Harris, Linzey A. Williams, Earl Ray, Herman Aston, Vance Lancaster, Harvey Wilson, Riley Blake, Robert Jameson, Earl Jones, L. W. Green, Harve Killough, Calvin Davis, Chevis Cleveland, E. L. Roark, Billie Edgin, Fred Curl, Henry Zweifel and A. E. Firmin.
The following were elected as officers: Post Commander - E. M. Yantis, Vice-Commander - C. B. Nelson, Adjutant E. L. Roark, Finance Officer - Jake Morris, Chaplin - Calvin Davis, Historian - Fred Curl.
Executive Committee: Billie Edgin, Robert Jameson, Vance Lancaster, Harve Killough and Chevis Cleveland.
Constitution and By-Laws Committee: C. B. Nelson and Vance Lancaster.
Name Selection Committee: Jake Morris and E. L. Roark.
Social Committee: Luther Jamieson and Victor Scherer.
A decision was made to name the Post for Elmer Joiner, the first Hood County resident to give his life in the line of duty. A temporary charter was issued to the Elmer Joiner American Legion Post 278 on January 22, 1921. Post 278 was one of 73 post chartered in Texas in 1921. Texas had 20,049 veteran members per State Commander Jay Ressiter.
In April of 1949 under the command of Paul Johnson on a motion by Paul Tillotson - Adjutant, seconded by Ben Estes, the name of the Post was changed to Joiner-Fitzhugh American Legion Post 278. Orman L. Fitzhugh, 2nd Lieutenant, US Army,(another Hood County soldier) gave his life for his county on December 15, 1944.
The American Legion Department of Texas had 94,815 members in 1949.
A Women's Auxiliary of American Legion Post 278 was chartered on January 2, 1958. The charter members were:
Juanita Caskey, Lois Cleveland, Norma Crawford, La Vera Davis, Winnie Flint, Lula May Heathington, Christine Hooten, Nora Musick, Ola Peters, Emma S. Roberson, Lola Sargent, June Thomas and Marie Williams.
MEMORIAL DAY has always been an outstanding occasion in this community. In addition to memorial events throughout the Granbury community, the goal of every Veteran to it's last man is to keep MEMORIAL DAY sacred to the memory of our war dead of all of the wars of the country; and all graves are decorated on this National Holiday.
ARMISTICE DAY, now called VETERANS' DAY, originally marked the end of fighting in World War I. It is an important holiday on the calendar of Legionnaires everywhere and in the hearts of all Veterans. Annually Post 278 sponsors the Veterans Day Parade. An important tradition was established when the Post led in the memorial exercises at 11 o'clock on the morning of November 11, marking the exact hour of the cessation of hostility on the war fronts.
Registration Of Graves
Since it's inception American Legion Post ___ has been a leader in this community in the area of graves registration; which has been incorporated by all the American Legion Posts in ___ County. Grave Registration enables all interested parties to locate the site of the grave of each Veteran. American Legion Post ___ acquired a burial lot in ______ Cemetery and this has been marked by the erection of a massive monument marking it as the burial lot for servicemen without kin. Each year, active members place a flag on each Veteran's grave.
Scholarships and Community Projects
American LegionPost 278 sponsors various scholarships for the further education of our children. We also sponsor and financially assist many worthy community projects and programs initiated by the National American Legion.
Join Us and Keep this History Alive